Re: how to show files list of package?

From: Matthew Seaman <matthew_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 22:28:07 UTC
On 30/05/2023 21:16, doug wrote:

>>> pkg info -lard | grep name
>>
>> Only works for packages you already have installed and not, as I
>> specified, for any package in a repository.
>
> That kind of how I interperted the question. Your answer was very
> specific. We have several poudriere repositories and it looks like a
> simple find from the repository base would do this. Mostly I am asking
> this to see what I am missing.

If you control the repositories and consequently have filesystem access
to them, then yes, you could traverse the directory structure and
examine the contents of all the packages in there to see which ones
contain a particular file.

While that's possible, it's not really going to be practical should you
have any volume of such requests.  Even more so if all you have is
web-based access to a repository, where you'ld have to laboriously
download each of the packages in order to analyse the conents.

However in practice it turns out that this sort of query isn't a blocker
particularly often.  There's a relatively simple alternative that's
"good enough" most of the time.  Generally, any interesting file you
might want to install is going to belong to some obvious correspondingly
named package.  So, if you want to install the `gonkulator` application,
then just a `pkg search -x gonk` should show up all the likely candidates.

	Cheers,

	Matthew