Re: how to show files list of package?

From: Matthew Seaman <matthew_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 07:49:00 UTC
On 29/05/2023 20:13, hlyg wrote:
> Thank andrew and Paul!
>
> pkg list packagename, that's command i need
>
> i read pkg manual, list isn't listed in COMMANDS section
>
> https://man.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pkg&sektion=8&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+13.2-RELEASE+and+Ports
>
> i've thought usingĀ  pkg-rquery, maybe freebsd isn't for me

Don't be put off -- pkg(8) is a complex beast with many different
sub-commands.  You'll find though that you only need a relatively small
sub-set of those commands routinely, and once you've learned those, it's
pretty routine.

`pkg list` is an alias for `pkg info -ql` -- it's in the default
pkg.conf so likely, but not guarranteed, to be present.  Aliases don't
generally have manual pages; just the underlying commands.  You can see
what aliases are defined looking at the output of `pkg alias`

If you were thinking of using `pkg rquery` (which is designed to tell
you about packages available from the repository rather than those
installed on your machines) I'm afraid you wouldn't have been able to
list the files in an uninstalled package.  That's because adding all
that information to the package index would bloat it unreasonably, and
have a horrible effect on performance.

There isn't really a good solution currently to being able to query a
repository and find what packages contain a particular file.

You need to download the package before that information is available --
that's why pkg(8) often asks a second time for you to confirm changes:
the second time round it will have downloaded the new packages you've
asked it to install, and so it now knows a lot more about the package
contents and hence about file conflicts etc. that would lead it to
remove some other packages in order to install what you requested.

	Cheers,

	Matthew