Re: read and write back full disk to trigger relocation

From: Sysadmin Lists <sysadmin.lists_at_mailfence.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 11:25:14 UTC
> From: David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
> Date: May 29, 2023, 12:04:41 AM
> To: <questions@freebsd.org>
> Subject: Re: read and write back full disk to trigger relocation
>

> >  From the dd(1) manpage:
> >
> >       Do a refresh of a disk drive, in order to prevent presently recoverable
> >       read errors from progressing into unrecoverable read errors:
> >
> >             dd if=/dev/ada0 of=/dev/ada0 bs=1m
>

> gmirror(8) examples indicate the device node should be:
>
> /dev/mirror/name
>

> Where "name" is the argument provided when the mirror was created:
>
> # gmirror label name prov ...

One of the examples is:

           gmirror label -v -b split -s 2048 data da0 da1 da2

Which tells me to look for /dev/da0, /dev/da1, /dev/da2 for the dd command.

> > That won't trigger relocation, but it will refresh the decaying data.
>

> Do you have a URL for an engineering document or standard that describes
> drive sector reallocation?  STFW "drive sector reallocation" I do not
> see anything that looks authoritative (e.g. disk manufacturer or
> standards body).

None that I'm aware of, but perhaps the ZFS source code might be illuminating.
Whatever standard they used might lead to documentation for UFS.

--
Sent with https://mailfence.com
Secure and private email