Re: Overview of Linux and FreeBSD sound systems?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf_at_riseup.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 14:19:29 UTC
On Thu, 2023-05-25 at 23:43 +1000, Ian Smith wrote:
>  > In the case of Linux ;).
> As was your commentary on different sound systems, Ralf.

Hi,

the OP's request is related to an "Overview of Linux and FreeBSD sound
systems?" Actually my comentars were not only Linux related.

On Wed, 2023-05-24 at 21:16 -0400, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> Can anyone point me to an Overview of Linux and FreeBSD sound systems?
> The base sound system is OSS, right?

> We also have ALSA, Sox, Pulse, Phonon, Jack, etc.

> These must have special features not in OSS...

IMO I explained in simple words the mentioned "ALSA, Sox, Pulse, Phonon,
Jack, etc.".

"SoX  reads  and	writes audio files in most popular formats" -
https://man.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=sox&sektion=1&manpath=freebsd-release-ports

That's more or less the same as I explained.

"jackd  is the JACK audio	server daemon" -
https://man.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=jackd&apropos=0&sektion=1&manpath=FreeBSD+13.2-RELEASE+and+Ports&arch=default&format=html

That's more or less the same as I've written.

"PulseAudio is a networked low-latency sound server for Linux" -
https://man.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pulseaudio&apropos=0&sektion=1&manpath=FreeBSD+13.2-RELEASE+and+Ports&arch=default&format=html

"low-latency" is quite vague. jackd is for low-latency, pulseaudio
isn't. However, it's another sound server. That's what I explained, too.

What I explained is true for FreeBSD as well as for Linux. There are
some exception as r.g. ALSA vs OSS.

Regards,
Ralf