Re: Overview of Linux and FreeBSD sound systems?

From: David Christensen <dpchrist_at_holgerdanske.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 03:42:12 UTC
On 5/24/23 18:16, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> Can anyone point me to an Overview of Linux and FreeBSD sound systems?
> The base sound system is OSS, right?
>
> We also have ALSA, Sox, Pulse, Phonon, Jack, etc.
>
> These must have special features not in OSS...

I believe I had a copy of "The Book of Linux Music & Sound" by Dave
Phillips [1] back in the day, and seem to recall it was a good
introduction at the time.  It looks like the author has a related web
site [2].

Other options include installing "Planet CCRMA at home" [3] and/or
getting involved in that community.

David

[1] https://www.amazon.com/Linux-Music-Sound-Dave-Phillips/dp/1886411344

[2] http://linux-sound.org/