Re: State of virtualization on FreeBSD

From: Dave Cottlehuber <dch_at_skunkwerks.at>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 07:33:30 UTC

On Fri, 19 May 2023, at 17:43, Pat Maddox wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2023, at 2:27 AM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 2:12 AM Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org> wrote:

>>>         On FreeBSD Bhyve is the native hypervisor developed and maintained
>>> by the FreeBSD team bug reports and questions will receive serious
>>> attention. Xen is developed on Linux, FreeBSD support is patchy at best.
>>
>> You should also note there are at least 2 IaaS class bhyve managers I
>> know of
>
> What are their names?
>
> Pat

Hey Pat

vm-bhyve is the most widely used to my knowledge. It’s in shell so easy to extend as required and the github wiki is full of tips. There are often juicy PRs worth grabbing. I recommend using it’s built in tmux console option.

chyves is another good one.

https://runhyve.app/ is more wrappers around vm-bhyve to provide an API driven vm-bhyve, neat. With an admin panel in Phoenix.

Klara website has a couple of good intro guides for bhyve https://klarasystems.com/articles/from-0-to-bhyve-on-freebsd-13-1/

A+