Re: Sound support

From: Mathias Picker <Mathias.Picker_at_virtual-earth.de>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 08:59:23 UTC
Steven Friedrich <freebsdlouisville@gmail.com> writes:

> On 5/16/23 5:43 PM, Vlad Markov wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 May 2023 15:16:30 +0200
>> Yuri <yuri@aetern.org> wrote:

>>> Devices are called /dev/dsp*, see sound(4) man page (at least
>>> the FILES
>>> section).
>>>
>>> $ ls /dev/pcm*
>>> zsh: no matches found: /dev/pcm*
>>> $ cat /boot/kernel/kernel > /dev/dsp
>>> (alien sounds)
>>>
>> I don't see any responses so here is my experience.
>>
>> Yes, a sound driver was found for your devices.
>>
>> cat someRandomFile > /dsp, should send out some noise.
>>
>> It may not, in which case check the mixer. /usr/sbin/mixer
>> comes with the system. It is possible the volume is off.
>>
>> Still no joy? I don't remember how I figured this out but I had
>> to make
>> entries in /boot/loader.conf. The handbook explains how to do
>> this. It uses device.hints vice loader.conf. I did my setup
>> long ago.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Vlad
>>
> Could someone that has audio going to hdmi on an Intel cpu,
> please post your
> /boot/loader.conf?

Hi Steven,

I have absolutely nothing concerning sound in my loader.conf. The
only i915-related settings are

# from https://vermaden.wordpress.com/2018/11/
# then modified for modern values
# (mostly xxx.yyy to xxx.i915_yyy
# INTEL DRM WITH graphics/drm-kmod PACKAGE (NEW)
# SKIP UNNECESSARY MODE SETS AT BOOT TIME
# disable power-saving display c-state
# -1=auto [default]; (-1=auto [default]; 0=disable; 1=up to DC5;
   2=up to DC6; 3=up to DC5 with DC3CO; 4=up to DC6 with DC3CO)
compat.linuxkpi.i915_enable_dc=1
compat.linuxkpi.i915_disable_power_well=0

because I have problems with loosing the external monitor after
deep sleep.

HDMI sound works without problems, on a Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen.

I’m not connected to the external monitor right now, so I have no
sndstat output for you.

I’m running 13-STABLE from … two weeks ago I guess.

Good luck,

Mathias

--
Mathias Picker
Geschäftsführer

virtual earth Gesellschaft für Wissens re/prä sentation mbH
http://www.virtual-earth.de/           HRB126870
support@virtual-earth.de               Westendstr. 142
089 / 1250 3943