Re: OT: How to disable the lights on modern case fans

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf_at_riseup.net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 02:36:31 UTC
On Sat, 2023-05-20 at 08:28 +0700, Olivier wrote:
> > Instead of using the write protection sticker in the early days
> > around
> > the home computer stone age, I more often tend to use a floppy disk
> > perforator to make a single sided floppy disk a two sided writable
> > floppy disk.
>
> In France we used to use a tool that was designed for the tickets of
> betting on horse races. it makes a nice U shape slot on the edge of
> the
> ticker/floppy:
>
> https://i.pinimg.com/736x/45/97/b7/4597b71ea53f9fbb768da8a3d398806f--grand-bazar-adolescence.jpg

:D

In order to get closer to the original concern, a friend had the idea of
​​replacing the resistors in front of the blue LEDs with higher-
impedance resistors when these were still new territory and glowed far
too brightly. On the other hand, an annoyance of my new hardware is that
the beeper connected to the motherboard is too quiet. Wherever signals
are needed, they have been abolished and replaced with useless shit that
flashes, babbles or annoys people, e.g. by loudly pretending to have a
fat combustion engine or by PC RGB LEDs on fans.

Gene Roddenberry was a prophet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh7gqSJq8Vg

The first guess is, that those grotesque sounds were a SiFi filme genre
stylistic device, but actually they were prophecy.

Instead of keeping something useful, like the power-on self-test
signals, for example, we omit those signals and instead get RGB LEDs
that are annoying and don't make any sense.