Re: Moving to a larger disk

From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra_at_tundraware.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 13:21:04 UTC
On 5/19/23 07:12, Robert Huff wrote:
> Odhiambo Washington asks:
>
>>    I have a 1TB disk, with UFS fs.
>>    I'd like to migrate to a 2TB SSD and retire/repurpose the 1TB disk.
>
> 	[deletia]
>
>>    What is the easiest/best method to migrate?
>
> 	What I would do:
> 	1) Put the new disk in an external drive dock.
> 	2) Format/label the new disk.
> 	3) Use dump/restore to transfer the contents; check for
> 		integrity.
> 	4) Unmount the new disk; shutdown computer; swap disks; boot.
>

> 	Anyone got a better plan?
>

> 			Respectfully,
>

> 				Robert Huff

I dunno about "better" but I use a somewhat different strategy.  It's been
a while but it's very roughly this:

- Install the new drive by some means
- Quiesce all highly active processes like web and db servers
- dd if=/dev/old-drive of=/dev/new-drive
- Shut down and remove old drive
- Reboot from recovery media like a linux repair disk that has 'gparted' on it.
- Use gparted to edit and resize (grow only) the relevant partition(s)
- Reboot and use 'growfs' to make the full disk size available to the filesystem(s)