Re: OT: How to disable the lights on modern case fans

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf_at_riseup.net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 07:05:50 UTC
On Fri, 2023-05-19 at 08:39 +0200, Ireneusz Pluta/wp.pl wrote:
> W dniu 19.05.2023 o 08:31, Steve O'Hara-Smith pisze:
> > On Fri, 19 May 2023 08:24:37 +0200
> > "Ireneusz Pluta/wp.pl" <ipluta@wp.pl> wrote:
> >
> > > W dniu 19.05.2023 o 06:56, Aryeh Friedman pisze: How
> > > >
> > > use black insulating tape. If not enough, add more layers.
> > 	Copper or aluminium tape is far more effective.
> >
> but not safe so close to the electronic stuff.

Insulating tape doesn't stick forever, a kind of duct tape probably
does, but also does look more disgusting than insulating tape already
does. If it's not possible to open the fan housing, then I agree with
Dan Mahoney, trying black nail polish in several coats. It might not
hold, flake off, but while insulating tape that gets into the fan could
damage it, dry, flaked off nail polish will not. Should the nail polish
hold, it was also easier to apply and looks better than any kind of
tape. Related to tape or polish I can't comment on smoke or burn. I just
suspect that this isn't a risk.