Re: Sound support

From: Vlad Markov <dvoich_at_optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 21:43:18 UTC
On Sun, 14 May 2023 15:16:30 +0200
Yuri <yuri@aetern.org> wrote:

> Steven Friedrich wrote:
> > On 5/13/23 2:22 PM, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> >> I have an HP Slimline with a Realtek ALC3601 audio device.  I don't
> >> see any Realtek audio devices in FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE Hardware Notes.
> >> Am I out of luck?
> >>
> > There are no pcm devices in /dev, but sndstat says:
> >
> > cat /dev/sndstat
> > Installed devices:
> > pcm0: <Realtek ALC671 (Rear Analog)> (play/rec) default
> > pcm1: <Realtek ALC671 (Analog)> (play/rec)
> > pcm2: <Intel Kaby Lake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
> > No devices installed from userspace.
> >
> > Does this mean no sound driver accepted these devices?
>
> Devices are called /dev/dsp*, see sound(4) man page (at least the FILES
> section).
>
> $ ls /dev/pcm*
> zsh: no matches found: /dev/pcm*
> $ cat /boot/kernel/kernel > /dev/dsp
> (alien sounds)

I don't see any responses so here is my experience.

Yes, a sound driver was found for your devices.

cat someRandomFile > /dsp, should send out some noise.

It may not, in which case check the mixer. /usr/sbin/mixer comes with the system. It is possible the volume is off.

Still no joy? I don't remember how I figured this out but I had to make
entries in /boot/loader.conf. The handbook explains how to do this. It uses device.hints vice loader.conf. I did my setup long ago.

Good luck,

Vlad