bhyve: failed to reclaim memory

From: Andrea Venturoli <ml_at_netfence.it>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 07:52:40 UTC
Hello.

Last night a VM of mine was killed with the following message:

> kernel: pid 31095 (bhyve), jid 0, uid 0, was killed: failed to reclaim memory

I tried searching for this and came up with some (not so clear)
explanation, but I fail to realize how to adapt this to my specific case.

Machine is 13.1/amd64 (soon to be upgraded to 13.2), 16GiB of RAM,
several services running, along with one VM, to which I've given 4GiB of
RAM.
I've got two ZFS mirrors: a "generic" 4TB HDD based one and an SSD-based
500GB dedicated to the VM.

In /boot/loader.conf I have:
vfs.zfs.arc_max=10737418240
(Should I reduce this?)

I also have 64GB of swap, though that's seldom used.

I'm checking the machine with Cacti (actually I don't like this, but
it's an old remnant): around the time the VM was killed, I see around
7.5GiB of memory marked as cache, then a sudden drop (which I cannot
tell if it's a cause or an effect).

Any suggestion?

  bye & Thanks
	av.