Re: Can my bhyve virtual machine get a dhcp request out of the local host?

From: Olivier <Olivier.Nicole_at_cs.ait.ac.th>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 01:18:52 UTC
Steven Friedrich <freebsdlouisville@gmail.com> writes:

> Or do I have to enable a dhcp server on the local host?  Can I just
> manually set an ip adx?  My Netgear router runs a dhcp server for my
> network.  Perhaps the host machine is not passing the dhcp broadcasts to
> the network?

If your host is passing the dhcp requests correctly, you should see them
exiting the host via the interface re0

        tcpdump -i re0 port 67 or port 68
should show such requests.

Eventually, you can run a similar requests on the virtual machine and on
any machine on your LAN. dhcp requests are broadcasted so any device
connected on your LAN would receive them.

You should see the dhcp request packet on the VM and on the host
interfcae re0 at the same time.

Best regards,

Olivier