Tool to compare directories and delete duplicate files from one directory

From: Kaya Saman <kayasaman_at_optiplex-networks.com>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 15:53:10 UTC
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a tool like diff or so that can also
delete files based on name and size from either left/right or
source/destination directory?

Basically what I have done is performed an rsync without using the
--remove-source-files option onto a newly bought and created disk pool
(yes zpool) that i am trying to consolidate my data - as it's currently
spread out over multiple pools with the same folder name.

The issue I am facing mainly is that I perform another rsync and use the
--remove-source-files option, rsync will delete files based on name
while there are some files that have the same name but not same size and
I would like to retain these files.

Right now I have looked at many different options in both rsync and
other tools but found nothing suitable. I even tested using a few test
dirs and files that I put into /tmp and whatever I tried, the files of
different size either got transferred or deleted.

How would be a good way to approach this problem?

Even if I create some kind of shell script and use diff, I think it will
only compare names and not file sizes.

I'm really lost here....

Regards,

Kaya