Re: PPPoE bridge / vlan? setup help needed

From: Doug McIntyre <merlyn_at_geeks.org>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2023 12:42:19 UTC
On Tue, May 02, 2023 at 09:37:58AM +0200, Kristof Provost wrote:
> On 2 May 2023, at 3:32, Gary Aitken wrote:
> > Having trouble setting up a dsl modem as a bridge.
> > ISP info:
> >   Fixed IP
> >   LLC-Based multiplexing
> >   VPI 0
> >   VCI 100
> >
> > Nowhere in ppp.conf do I see anything about
> > multiplexing mode, vpi, vci, or dsl mode;

> With the disclaimer that it’s been ~15 years since I last looked at the relevant tech, but I think you’re confusing PPP over ATM (PPPoA) with PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE).
>
> VPI/VCI are ATM concepts, and do not exist in Ethernet land.

Correct. Although there existed a PPPoA ADSL card that had drivers for
FreeBSD at one point in time, where you could terminate your DSL
connection directly into a FreeBSD machine to act as firewall/router. So
that information would be required for configuration of such interface card.

BUT, most likely that card even if found probably doesn't work with the DSL
standards currently in use by ISPs today. Let alone if the company has kept
up with kernel driver development to keep it still working.

Most ISPs now-a-days will let you run either PPPoA or PPPoE. So use
the CPE termination device they provide, turn it into bridge mode;
and then setup PPPoE going through your ethernet and ignore the PVC info above.

The CPE they provide would need to know the ATM VPI/VCC info quoted
above (most likely autoconfiguring itself), and then passes all frames
from the ATM connection down into ethernet frames, and FreeBSD can
certainly do PPPoE termination to act as router/firewall for your
network.