Re: userland profiler trace with debug symbols

From: Tomek CEDRO <tomek_at_cedro.info>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 00:09:40 UTC
On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 9:45 PM Pete Wright wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 12:07:28AM +0100, Tomek CEDRO wrote:
> > Hello world :-)
> >
> > I have found and reported a bug in KiCAD 7 where dialogs seems to be
> > broken [1]. One of the upstream developers asked me to create a
> > "profiler trace with debug symbols" to pinpoint the issue.
> >
> > Here is an example use on Linux with perf [2]:
> >
> > perf record --debuginfod --call-graph dwarf -F 999 -g eeschema
> >
> > Do we have this kind of utility on FreeBSD? :-)
>
> you can probably supply similar info using dtrace(1).  there is also dwatch(1)
> which is a handy script that pulls lots of useful info via dtrace, but in a
> more user friendly way.
>
> -pete

Thank you Pete!

I also found dtrace.. but it looks kind of black magic for a newcomer :-P

I found only this reference with some examples:

https://www.oracle.com/application-development/technologies/solarisstudio-documentation-dtrace-studio.html

Do you know a good reference / manual / tutorial / book with exapmles
to learn dtrace? :-) :-)