Re: updated to 13.1 (i386). Apache won't run if php80 enabled

From: Alexander Burke <alex_at_alexburke.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2023 16:00:47 UTC
Hi Bill,

> I'm using the port of sendmail so STARTTLS will work.

I recommend in the strongest possible terms that you not use STARTTLS in any way, and that you use TLS-enforced SMTPS (port 465) and IMAPS (port 993) exclusively with clients. [1,2]

When your sendmail can't reach other MTAs on 465 to deliver mail to them, it can and should drop back to using port 25 with no TLS, but clients (MUAs) accessing it should use only 465 and 993.

Cheers,
Alex

[1] https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/starttls-downgrade-attacks

[2] https://nostarttls.secvuln.info/