Re: concerns about install freebsd

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf_at_riseup.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 07:11:05 UTC
CC'ed to longpanda, the developer of Ventoy, since I encountered a minor
issue.

On Thu, 2022-09-29 at 06:26 +0200, Tomek CEDRO wrote:
> Ventoy uses EXFAT partition to store ISO so you can also use that
> partition to store other files just like an ordinary pendrive.

Hi,

yesno, my Ventoy is aimed to hold Linux ISO only, hence I formatted the
partition holding the ISO and persistent file as ext4, this might speed
up access. Ventoy applied an EFI fat partition and for sharing data I
formatted a third partition as fat32.

The ext4 partition of my Ventoy USB stick:

   [root@archlinux ~]# /usr/bin/ls -lh /mnt/v1.ventoy/
   total 7.9G
   drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jan  6  2021 ventoy
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.6G Jul 31  2020 xubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6.3G Jan  7  2021 xubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-pers1.dat
   [root@archlinux ~]# cat /mnt/v1.ventoy/ventoy/ventoy.json
   {
       "persistence": [
           {
               "image": "/xubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso",
               "backend": "/xubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-pers1.dat"
           }
       ]
   }

To use live ISOs, it's only required to copy the ISOs to the USB stick,
anything else is working automagically. While I'm in favour of the
syslinux bootloader for my desktop PC, Ventoy does use GRUB 2 for good
reasons. If a Linux ISO should be used as a persistent live Linux, then
the live Linux must support this feature and there's the need to
generate a *.dat file and to write a ventoy.json.

Disclaimer: I don't know if a Ventoy USB stick is that portable among
different computes as "regular" USB sticks with a single live Linux or
live CDs/DVDs are, but it's under heavy development and it's easy to
update the Ventoy device:

   [root@archlinux ~]# ventoy -u /dev/sdg
   egrep: warning: egrep is obsolescent; using grep -E
   egrep: warning: egrep is obsolescent; using grep -E

         Ventoy: 1.0.80  x86_64
         longpanda admin@ventoy.net
         https://www.ventoy.net

   grep: warning: stray \ before -
   Upgrade operation is safe, all the data in the 1st partition (iso
   files and other) will be unchanged!

   Update Ventoy  1.0.79 ===> 1.0.80   Continue? (y/n) y
   esp partition processing ...

   Update Ventoy on /dev/sdg successfully finished.

The grep warnings are due to a migration to a new release of grep.
Annoyances like this don't happen that often, when using a rolling Linux
release, but they do happen.

I'm running the full path /usr/bin/ls, since I'm using an ls alias that
requires special fonts to be displayed correctly.

Regards,
Ralf