Re: data, metadata, backup, and archive integrity and correction

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf_at_riseup.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 23:37:49 UTC
On Fri, 2022-09-23 at 15:42 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> All versions of the photograph file opened correctly with a viewer.
> All photographs looked the same on the screen.  But, at least one file
> is corrupt.  Which file(s)?  I never  figured it out.  I kept all
> versions of the file.  (And, I have kept all camera media.)

Hi David,

I'm a digital photographer newbie. I started digital photography in
2020. For developing photos and more editing, graphic art, I'm using a
Linux desktop machine, but most of the times an iPad Pro. I copy all my
cam's SD data to my Linux desktop PC, my iPad Pro and to at least two
USB HDDs (ext4 and hfs+ without journaling) in the first place. Before I
format a SD again, I take a look at all copied photos using a viewer.
The photo backup/archiving is completely "decoupled" from all other
backup/archiving. Non-destructive editing of photos, done on different
machines, in my experiences results in chaos. Way before verifying a
probably corrupted backup, I already loose control. For example, it's
already impossible to gain control over naming files of edited photos.
Sharing edited photos among apps running on iPad OS already is a PITA,
let alone sharing photos among operating systems.

I've got tons of unneeded duplicates of some photos. Deleting a
duplicated photo might render separately stored meta-data useless.

Regards,
Ralf