Re: GNOME discussions

From: Tomasz Rola <rtomek_at_ceti.pl>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 01:06:16 UTC
On Sun, Oct 30, 2022 at 08:53:50PM +0000, Graham Perrin wrote:
> On 30/10/2022 20:23, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> > … With text-based MUA called mutt …
>
> > I am a
> > user.
> >
> As am I, and I used mutt, and pine, or it might have been elm, in the past,
> these things have pros and cons.
>
> I could easily describe numerous downsides to traditional e-mail. With
> respect, I'll not.

Well, I never had intention to claim that text MUA should fit
everybody. You asked about the reason to not use web interface and I
think I gave a few. Those are things that matter to me, but as
everybody is a bit different creature, my reasons do not apply to
every case.

BTW, if you know about deficiencies of email, maybe there is never
enough of telling about it. Maybe it can be made better. So if feel
like this, or know a good summary of those defects, be my guest and
speak up...

I might have sounded a bit harsh, too. Frankly, I am a bit disgusted
about cold treatment that email receives from people pushing various
kind of so called "modern" solutions. Things are being broken as if by
malevolence. The guys working for multibillion business write email
client which breaks threads, AFAIK because it ignores certain
headers. They probably do not eat their own dogfood, but they do not
have to be ignorant. I believe underfunded startup could write it
better. Heck. A student project, even.

And so on. While email is not perfect, neither is the
replacement. Break email and make alternatives look better in
comparison? Maybe. For me, it sounds like a plan.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_rola@bigfoot.com             **