Re: GNOME discussions

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf_at_riseup.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 17:20:58 UTC
On Sun, 2022-10-30 at 16:42 +0000, Graham Perrin wrote:
> On 30/10/2022 16:03, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > … GNOME's
> >    Discourse is such a gamification overdosed forum. …
>  Honestly, I don't know what you mean …

Hi,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification .

This forum has go levels. Depending on a level you are allowed or not
allowed to do things. You earn presents and badges. You probably didn't
notice some of the drawbacks, if you didn't reply to several topics.
After a while you get a notice, that you have to wait for a day, before
you are allowed to continue participating. All depends on the level you
reached. If you played the game for the purpose of the powers that be,
you get another boy scout badge. This infantilisation has nothing to do
with a education related to a CoC, or protection against spam/trolls, in
this regard it's more comparable with the Chinese's social credit
system, the subscribers are under general suspicion. However, more
perfidious than this kind of "education" is the manipulation the GNOME
foundation can do and without doubts already started doing, made
possible by gamification. You probably get badges for "thumbs ups",
"helped a lot" and similar ratings. Dunno, I subscribed, tested and
unsubscribed before I reached level 1, before I got a present.

"Heather Chaplin, writing in Slate, describes gamification as "an
allegedly populist idea that actually benefits corporate interests over
those of ordinary people"." -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification#Criticism

Regards,
Ralf