Re: my isp has trouble with its own dhcp assignment

From: David Christensen <dpchrist_at_holgerdanske.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 00:47:21 UTC
On 10/17/22 12:41, spellberg_robert wrote:
> 22_oct_17_mon 19.35.utc
>

> howdy , folks ; long time , no post .
> why ?
> because , when compared to 20 - 40 years ago , when i --loved-- it ,
>    email has become the most_royal of pains to use .
>
> please forgive this brief digression ; it is relevant .
>
> i spent 6 hours , yesterday ,
>    typing a detailed account of the symptoms and
>    the eventual identification of that
>    which i believe to be the actual problem
>    with my isp's dhcp server .
>
> when sending ,
>    i got the password wrong [ correct chars , wrong order ] .
> believing that i was closing the dialog_box for the password ,
>    i closed the composition window .
> after wrestling w/ thunderbird for an hour w/o finding the message ,
>    i resorted to the tried_and_true bsd approach ;
>    with hd and vi , i found , finally , a copy in a file called "Sent" .
> because the email was never sent ,
>    this is the exact place in which to save it .
> i believe that the jargon for this characteristic is "feature" .
>
> ok ; so , i did not lose the 6 hours of typing [ whew ! ] .
>
> i copied the relevant lines from "Sent" into its own file .
> --but-- , for the life of me , i can not get thunderbird to
>    bring this file into a new composition window ,
>    except as an "attachment" [ which i can not see ] .
>
> iirc , email_"attachment"s are strongly discouraged on this list .
> so , it is --not-- included w/ this post .
> how_ever , i could be wrong .
> if it --is-- permissible to do so ,
>    then i will be happy to send it w/ a subsequent post .
>

> here is the abridged version of my problem .
>
> i have built backup_hardware for my gateway box .
>
> in the event of a hardware failure ,
>    a]  power_down failed_box ,
>    b]  detach cables ,
>    c]  swap boxen ,
>    d]  attach cables ,
>    e]  power_up good_box w/ auto_boot w/ dhclient .
>
> during the testing of the new box ,
>    i have found that the isp's dhcp server returns an address
>    which works only partially or not_at_all
>    [ it is a different address , always ; should it be ? ] .
>
> because the existing box has not failed ,
>    ifconfig tells me its real identity .
>
> if i use , manually , the "add" form of the ifconfig command ,
>    with this address , then ,
>    suddenly , everything works perfectly .
>
> --but-- , i did this manually , not by using dhcp .
> i must assume that i do not know the prior address .
>
> the handbook and various man_pages discuss , at length ,
>    the case of a roving lap_top , w/ multiple isps .
> in this case , i have multiple clients and a constant isp ;
>    this is not discussed .
>

> is there a way for my client to persuade the isp's server to
>    "bind" my client to an address which the isp will accept ?
>
> what is the etiquette regarding
>    email_"attachment"s in postings to this list ?
>
> is there a way to get a text_file
>    [ perhaps , created w/ vi ]
>    into a thunderbird composition window ?

> [...]

Regarding the IP address(es) assigned to your Internet service point by
your ISP, it depends upon your ISP, which Internet service plan you
have, and which hardware the ISP provided to you.

Regarding attachments to mailing list posts, my approach is as follows:

1.  If the attachment is text and small, include the content in the post.

2.  Otherwise, upload the content to a web server and include the URL in
the post.

Regarding getting text file contents into an e-mail message using a
graphical workstation, one method is to open the file in Mousepad,
Notepad, etc., select the desired text, copy the selected text to the
clipboard, switch to the Thunderbird message composition window, and
paste the clipboard contents.

If the above responses are insufficient, please answer the following
questions:

1.  What is the location of your Internet service point?

2.  Who is your ISP?  Please provide a URL.

3.  What Internet service plan do you have?  Please provide a URL.

4.  What is the make and model of the access device provided by the ISP?
  Please provide a URL.

5.  You seem to be discussing several computers -- a gateway computer, a
backup gateway computer, and several clients (presumably, one is a
graphical workstation with Thunderbird).  Please clarify how many
computers you have and their roles.

6.  Please pick one computer and let us work on that one.  When that is
fixed, pick another computer and start a new thread.

7.  What is the make and model of the computer?  Which CPU?  How much
memory?  What storage devices?  Please provide URL(s).

8.  Which FreeBSD installer did you use?  What questions were you asked
and how did you answer them?

9.  Please run the following commands and post your complete console
session -- prompt, commands entered, output printed:

# freebsd-version ; uname -a

# cat /etc/rc.conf

10. If the computer is graphical, which window manager or desktop
environment are you using?

11. Are you using ports or packages?  What ports and/or packages have
you installed?

David