Re: pkg upgrade vs building from source

From: paul beard <paulbeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 17:35:47 UTC
On Sun, Oct 9, 2022 at 9:11 AM Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 16:06:36 +0000 (UTC)
> doug <doug@safeport.com> wrote:
>
> > First I want to say pkg is vastly superior to the system it replaced.
>
>         Seconded, loudly and enthusiastically.
>
> --
> Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>

This is what I hope for as well. Building from source is pretty slow on a
VM running as a guest on 13 (!) year old hardware. I just get itchy when I
see pkg doing things i don't understand (deleting ports it thinks are
abandoned but that I use, downgrading ports while upgrading/reinstalling
others). Granted this was on an older 11.x system that was a mish mash of
ports and pkgs so I may have created my own private hell. Hoping to get out
of that. I don't use a lot of more sophisticated features (no jails, no
zfs, no poudiere, etc) and ideally, this system doesn't require a lot of
interaction. I briefly considered running all this stuff (mariadb,
wordpress, php, et al) in native macos on the host system but it was
simpler to go back to freebsd as a guest. I had a working, if damaged, set
of configuration files to work from so that worked out,

Thanks to all for the help and clarification. I'll see if I can commit to
pkg and let it do its work.

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/