OS update incomplete

From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 06:53:26 UTC
On 09/10/2022 01:25, paul beard wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 5:07 PM Graham Perrin
> <grahamperrin@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>     On 08/10/2022 22:52, paul beard wrote:
>
>     > freebsd-version -kru ; uname -aKU
>     > 12.3-RELEASE-p6
>     > 12.3-RELEASE
>     > 12.3-RELEASE-p7
>     > FreeBSD www.paulbeard.org <http://www.paulbeard.org>
>     <http://www.paulbeard.org> 12.3-RELEASE
>     > FreeBSD 12.3-RELEASE r371126 GENERIC  i386 1203000 1203000
>
>     Output from    freebsd-version -kru    strongly suggests that your
>     update to the operating system is incomplete.
>

> Well, that's troubling. I think i have run freebsd-update just once
> since this system was built. It was installed on a bare disk (disk
> image in a VM) so not an upgrade.
>
> …

At any time, since that one and only run:

* has there been a restart of the OS?

If not: please do so.

----

In any case: please perform the steps below.

Restart in single user mode.

freebsd-version -kr

fsck -fn

For the root file system: if the result of the initial check was not
FILE SYSTEM IS CLEAN, then stop, and be prepared to boot from a separate
device (it will be interesting to have a proper record of any file
system inconsistency).

If the file system was reportedly clean: exit to multi-user mode.