Re: Successor to svnweb.freebsd.org ?

From: Dan Mahoney <freebsd_at_gushi.org>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 20:27:38 UTC

> On Oct 2, 2022, at 13:20, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Oct 1, 2022 at 11:55 AM Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au <mailto:smithi@nimnet.asn.au>> wrote:
> On 2 October 2022 3:42:09 am AEDT, "Fernando Apesteguía" <fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com <mailto:fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com>> wrote:
>  > El sáb., 1 oct. 2022 18:16, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au <mailto:smithi@nimnet.asn.au>>
>  > escribió:
>  >
>  > > Hi crew,
>  > >
>  > > Very pleased to find that https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ <https://svnweb.freebsd.org/>
>  > > is still working, if only up to FreeBSD 12.
>
>  [...]
>
>  > > So is there a similar git-based web tool for browsing and
>  > > downloading selected sources, viewing diffs, etc?
>
>  > https://cgit.freebsd.org/$repo/ <https://cgit.freebsd.org/$repo/>
>  >
>  > With $repo being ports, doc or src
>
> Great, thankyou.
>
> cheers, Ian
>

> You don't need the repo; Just https://cgit.freebsd.org <https://cgit.freebsd.org/> will allow you to choose the repo. I will mention that it defaults to "log", so I always click "tree" to open the desired repo.
>
> Once you are in the repo, you can select a version in the upper right corner of the screen.

Maybe not a hot take, but I'll say it -- I find cgit less useful than svnweb (or cvsweb) was -- it's definitely not a straight feature-for-feature port (but then, neither is git for svn), and in general, I find the github mirror more useful when I'm used to looking at other projects that way anyway.

That is to say, the default view in cgit is not like what you normally see on github.

https://github.com/freebsd

-Dan