Re: mkdir error message -- what does this mean?

From: doug <doug_at_safeport.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 16:09:12 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 14:48:09 -0400
> Paul Procacci <pprocacci@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>      31 EMLINK Too many links. Maximum allowable hard links to a single
>> file has been exceeded (limit of 32767 hard links per file).
>>
>> I betcha the parent directory has at least this many number of objects in
>> it.
>
> 	DIRHASH has a lot to answer for, time was we'd jump through hoops
> when writing applications to avoid having huge numbers of files in a
> directory, now nobody notices any problems until they hit the limit.

I hit this limit long, long ago. Maybe Version 4 or 5, made the change and
forgot all about it. I guess mergermaster and freebsd-update rolled my
number forward or the default was made bigger than anything I have now. The
only reason for my comment is a bunch of cyrus accounts have inboxes with
200-300k emails. They happily make and delete folders that subdirectories
of /var/spool/imap/user/user-name.