Re: Single User

From: @lbutlr <kremels_at_kreme.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 15:38:36 UTC
On 2022 May 20, at 00:18, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 May 2022 23:50:48 -0600
> kremels@kreme.com wrote:
>
>> On 2022-May-19 23:02, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

>>> 	Typewrites had carriage return and line feed levers long before
>>> there were teletypes or ASCII.
>>
>> The codes are teletype codes, not typewriter codes. All you need to do
>
> 	"typewriter codes" ? Typewriters are mechanical devices that do not
> use codes. The codes are there in ASCII because teletypes needed the same
> functions as typewriters. The terms were in use for typewriters decades
> before there were teletypes, ASCII or even BCD. They were old when computer
> was a job description.

Nope. Cottage Return was the name of the handle on the typewriter. Everything else is from teletype machines. There was th "Horizontal tab" on a typewriter, it was just a 'tab' and there was certainly not vertical tab. There was no 'line feed' because you didn't have a term for 'turn the roller by hand'.

--
"Esprit de corpse," said the Senior Wrangler. Ridcully glared at him