Re: Using a FreeBSD desktop was somehting about dog food

From: Dave Hayes <dave_at_jetcafe.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 06:38:46 UTC
On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 07:18:50 +0100
"Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 17:34:14 -0700
> Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org> wrote:
>
> > In other words, I want devs to -want- to help more. :D
>
> 	IOW you want things to be different.

So I find that a rather sad way of framing what I said and ignoring
or glossing over all the other things I tried to explain. I really did not
expect anything more, so fair enough. :)

I will now choose to receive what you said above as "I don't want to really
discuss this anymore" and I will go back into my hole. I'm not mad or anything,
just somewhat disappointed.

There's still two points that I feel the need to make.

> I've explained why things are
> as they are and that what we have is the result of people doing what they
> want to do and that if you want more done then the onus is on *you* to help
> the project do it.

...but it's not! :) It -can't- be, because FreeBSD is not just -me-. I don't
run this project. I can't (as in ability) take that onus without cooperation
from at least one or more people in the FreeBSD community. I do not have a
commit bit, and even if I did, those who have had one and tried taking on an
onus before have generally had the commit bit removed for acting on their own.
FreeBSD is effectively a group of people (since we are framing wildly now), not
just one person. Taking on any onera of any sort in this situation is neither
practical nor possible.

Therefore I claim your assertion is not only invalid, but misguided since you
seem to think I am demanding 'more to be done'. You haven't really read what I
said, as I wasn't intending to demand at all and took great linguistic pains
to convey that.

At the very least, you have somehow put me in that category of demanding
people you were originally ranting against, despite the effort I made to
communicate about that topic.

Given all that, I find I can no longer usefully communicate with you on this
topic.

> 	So be the change you want to see in the world rather than asking
> for it.

Um, yeah. As I predicted, I will have to repeat myself:

"I want to be clear that I am not expecting, advocating, or even implying any
-involuntary- or -forced- re-focusing of time.  To be very clear, I feel that
one of the big problems of human culture is this idea of forcing others to do
what they don't want to do. I'd like to say that my intention is anything but
this and I'll need to repeat this idea because my experiences tell me that
people will not understand where I am really coming from unless I repeat it
many times...and even then it might not be possible. :)"

Have a good day.
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - LA CA, USA - dave@dream-tech.com

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere.