Re: OT: Strange interaction between NIC, SSD and motherboard

From: Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 19:57:41 UTC
On Sun, Jul 31, 2022 at 4:52 AM Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 19:27:27 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> >>
> >> This BIOS version or any other with this release date does not exist
> >> for B450 TOMAHAWK,see
> >> https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK/support .
> >

> >Another clue that I STFW and found the wrong motherboard...
>
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 19:25:31 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> >My WAG is that there is a bug that involves the motherboard firmware,
> >the NIC firmware, and/or the SSD firmware.  I would pick one device
> >and replace it.
>
> The link's B450 TOMAHAWK received an update that "Improved PCI-E device
> compatibility", release date 2019-11-11, IOW after 07/05/2019.
> Maybe for the OP's B450 TOMAHAWK BIOS such an update does exist, too.
>
> The two updates after that update mention AGESA updates.
> I can't comment on AGESA, but for the OP it might be worth to search
> the web for AGESA before updating the BIOS if AGESA is involved, since
> downgrades are sometimes impossible. A German article warns, seemingly
> AGESA updates could cause issues. OTOH if one AGESA update does cause
> trouble, a following AGESA update might fix that.
>
> [DE]
> https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Mainboard-Hardware-154107/News/AMDAGESAv21205NeueFirmwareistmitVorsichtzugeniessen-1389632/

Upgraded to 7C02v1G1 (beta 7/15/2022 -- supposed to fix the AGES bugs
in 1F1) and I think reset (it reset the boot order at least and few VM
related settings) and still doesn't see FreeBSD (no noticeable change
in behaviour with and without the NIC).   The BIOS does not show the
voltages for all devices but it does show the motherboard 5V voltage
is 5.008... V and 12V is 12.004V... all fans are working... temps are
around 40C on all temp monitors