BHyve - GRUB settings for Rocky Linux

From: James B. Byrne <byrnejb_at_harte-lyne.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 13:48:10 UTC
FreeBSD-12.3
vm-bhyve-1.4.2
grub2-bhyve-0.40_8

Rocky-9.0

I need help to determine what grub commands are required to get a rocky linux
(RL) bhyve vm to boot.  It would be most helpful if someone could point out how
I determine what these should be.

I have viewed the contents of grub.cfg in the distribution iso. From this I
have constructed the following vm.conf file:

loader="grub"
cpu=4
memory=6G
network0_type="virtio-net"
network0_switch="public"
disk0_type="virtio-blk"
disk0_name="disk0.img"
grub_install0="linux /images/pxeboot/vmlinuz
inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Rocky-9-0-x86_64-dvd quiet"
grub_install1="initrd /images/pxeboot/initrd.img"

This results in a running vm but does not seem to partition the virtual disk
nor install the OS.  I am left at the grub> prompt when I enter the console.

If somebody has RL running as a Bhyve VM, or RHEL9 as RL is supposed to be what
CentOS would have been, I would very much appreciate a copy of your
configuration file and how you determined the values.

Thanks.

   Unencrypted messages have no legal claim to privacy

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3