Re: rationale for default ZFS datasets

From: Doug McIntyre <merlyn_at_geeks.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 15:58:27 UTC
On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 05:28:57PM +0100, Taceant Omnes wrote:
> /var and /usr both merit a dataset of their own, and under them there
> are a few other nested datasets. What is not clear to me is why only
> these particular folders merit their own datasets, likewise with /tmp.
> Perhaps it is so that one has the ability to do snapshots?

Besides the other responses already posted. Especially the one about BEs.

I find them useful to have the separate datasets for purposes of quota,
compression, and shapshotting, which all generally get different setups on
my systems.

While I'm not sure all the datasets are the way _I_ would have dnoe them, it does
provide at least a common set of reasonable defaults to start with.