Re: How To Install Windows From Free BSD?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf_at_riseup.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 22:54:04 UTC
On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 22:18:54 +0000, Megan Taylor wrote:
>you may remember when free bsd was installed on my computer. i have a
>hp beats laptop.
>
>i couldn't get back windows yet, but i had to call a "unix expert" to
>get a menu and browser and that stuff. i still fucking hate free bsd
>and fire fox. i miss windows and internet explorer.

"Internet Explorer"? Actually nowadays the Microsoft-web-browser is
named "Edge", based on Google Chromium.

I can't comment on the quality of https://github.com/freebsd/chromium ,
but consider to test it.

>is there a way to install windows from free bsd? like how free bsd
>could install itself over windows?
>
>is there a cd rom i can order? i dont know how to create a cd rom.
>
>i dont own any usb sticks.
>
>the windows download page is just a file that free bsd cant open. it
>seems to be an "ISO" file that can be used to create a cd rom, but i
>don't know how to create one.
>
>all the windows on ebay or amazon costs $100. i cant afford that.

A browser such as Firefox running on FreeBSD should be able to download
the Windows image. If you can't download the image, consider to
describe what you are doing and what happens?

An activation for free as in beer requires a little bit of googling for
a leaked key by a Chinese company.

However, Ubuntu and it's flavours are known as a good alternative, since
it's a user friendly Linux distro. It's not comparable with FreeBSD or a
user-centric Linux distro such as Arch Linux, but for free as in beer
without a dirty trick, too.

How about installing https://xubuntu.org/download/ and
https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/edge/pool/main/m/microsoft-edge-stable/microsoft-edge-stable_97.0.1072.62-1_amd64.deb
? I'm running Xubuntu on an USB stick, IMO it's quite alright. I can't
comment on the state of Edge for Linux.

I'm running Windows in VirtualBox (not the best virtual machine, but
for Windows probably the most user-friendly) and run some Windows
programs under wine (not on FreeBSD, but Arch Linux, anyway, see
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/wine/ ).

You probably can get help with installing Windows by
https://support.microsoft.com/ .

Regards,
Ralf