Re: Piping jobs output

From: Karl Vogel <vogelke_at_pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 03:55:52 UTC
On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 02:02:50PM -0600, Ron Wills wrote:
> I have a number of shell scripts that scan various directories
> updating files. They can be quite time consuming so I put
> parts of the operations in the background and use "jobs" to
> manage how many things I put in the background. With bash
> this work beautifully but with FreeBSD's /bin/sh it's broken.

Two thoughts:

1 - If any jobs involve scanning directories on the same physical device,
    run those sequentially or you'll probably just end up thrashing the
    drive.

2 - If you already have the Korn Shell installed, try using that;
    the commands you showed worked just fine when I tried them on
    KSH version 93u+ 2012-08-01.

--
Karl Vogel / vogelke AT pobox DOT com / I don't speak for anyone at the moment

It's amazing how far they've fallen considering how low they were to
begin with.             --Reddit comment about MS tech support, 6 Jan 2022