Re: FreeBSD 12.3-R and environment variables

From: Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve_at_sohara.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 06:27:07 UTC
On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 13:42:01 -0800
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> That is unexpected.  I would expect the packages for 12.3-RELEASE to be
> built on 12.3-RELEASE.

	FreeBSD promises ABI stability within each major release - the only
time I can recall that slipping (I've been using FreeBSD since 1.1 - but I
did skip 5, 6 and 7 which suffered the fallout from Walnut Creek pulling
out) was in 12.1 when there was an unintended ABI change involving DRM which
caused upgrade problems and is the reason 12.x packages (note 12.x not 12.3,
packages are for the entire life of the major release) are built on 12.2
and not 12.0 as would be normal.

	This sort of philosophy of stability is one of the reasons I prefer
FreeBSD to any Linux based system.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>