running FreeBSD on an iMac

From: Doug Denault <doug_at_safeport.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:37:16 UTC
By this i mean as the base OS, not a VM. My neighbor gave me an iMac that
was old enough where the current versions of OS/X will not run on it. I
have FreeBSD CDs from 3.5 --> 9.2. Sadly I stopped making CDs at that
point.

It took some repeated running of the disk utility but I got rid of OS/X and
the system will willing to boot my 9.2 CD. My first attempt after thinking
how cool is this, was to make a 12.3 image on on of the older 700MB Cds.
This from the same CD set I made the 9.2 one many years ago. The sysutils
port worked perfectly as I could both mount it and boot on various Dells I
use. The iMac could not accept this CD. So I installed 9.2 which works
perfectly.

freebsd-update will not attempt 9.2 --> 12.3. Any way to get 10.x or 11.x
to see if that will update? Google has not, so far, turned up any 10 or 11
CDs in the wild.

My current attempt is to build 12.3 from source. Any ideas most welcomed

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug@safeport.com