Re: How fast can I get FBSD to boot?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf_at_riseup.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 01:04:05 UTC
On Tue, 2022-08-16 at 18:54 +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> You could probably torture the suspend/resume mechanism into doing
> the job.

Hi,

this will probably not work for all usages, for example not if the jackd
sound server is involved. At least on Linux jackd would fail to work.

FWIW if fast booting is a concern I would use whatever embedded
operating system would fulfil the requirements, FreeBSD, Linux, Windows
or something else.

Apart from a few exceptions fast booting usually doesn't matter to me.
One exception is my camera. I don't know what Sony does use. I can
simply turn the camera on and it's ready. I don't know how many micro-
or milliseconds it takes, but it's probably less than a second, at worst
not much more than a second or two.

Regards,
Ralf