What is the best way to look for a lost file in the disk blocks

From: Matthias Apitz <guru_at_unixarea.de>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 12:23:57 UTC
Hello,

Last night I damaged a plain UTF-8 HTML file (I copied by accident a
JPEG file over it) and it turned out that the backup was done a month
ago. I learned my lesson from this re/ doing backups more often of files
I'm working on...
Maybe there is a chance that the disk blocks are still not overwritten,
what would be the best way to look for them block by block and if it
contains certain string "foo-bar" having the block number from the
beginning of the device to get it back with dd(1) into a file. Any
scripts or tools for this?

Thanks

	matthias

--