Re: zpools disappearing on reboot with 13.1Beta3 (and now RC1)

From: Rick Summerhill <rrsum_at_summerhill.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 18:01:20 UTC
On 3/29/22 6:20 PM, R Richard Summerhill wrote:
> On 3/29/22 16:06, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 15:37:19 -0400
>> Rick Summerhill <rrsum@summerhill.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running a server under 13.1Beta3 and it has 2 zpools, one a mirror
>>> and the other a raidz1.  When I reboot the server, both pools disappear
>>> but come back when imported.  Do I have something set wrong on the
>>> server?
>>     Does your /etc/rc.conf contain
>>
>> zfs_enable="YES"
>

> Yes, it does.  Let me give you a bit more info.  I rebuilt 13.1Beta3
> with just the mirror pool.  Rebooted several times to test everything
> and it came back correctly each time.  Then I added one of these 5x1
> port multiplier arrays to an esata port (this is one of my test boxes)
> and rebooted.  All the disks were there (they are all labeled
> appropriately), and the mirror zpool (which uses the labels) was not
> there.  Importing it, however, brought it back.  Then I created the
> raidz1 pool on the multiplier array.  Both pools showed up with a good
> status.  On rebooting, the disks are there and the pools are not, but on
> importing, both come back.
>
> Not that the multiplier array has been working fine under 13.0Release
> and ZFS.

I upgraded to 13.1RC1 and the condition persists.  Also, dmesg shows

ZFS filesystem version: 5
ZFS storage pool version: features support (5000)
pid 49 (zpool), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6

and the disks for the pools appear after that in dmesg.

I also tried adding the following lines to loader.conf

kern.cam.boot_delay="5000"  # Delay (in ms) of root mount for CAM bus
kern.cam.scsi_delay="2000"  # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI

That did not solve the problem, however.  Any thoughts?

Rick

--
Rick Summerhill
Retired, Chief Technology Officer, Internet2

Home: 734-428-1422
Web:  http://www.rick.summerhill.org