Re: Why is building poudirere-devel several openjdks when I ask for openjdk21?

From: Derek Schrock <dereks_at_lifeofadishwasher.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 21:42:53 UTC
On Wed, Nov 15, 2023 at 09:01:28AM EST, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have stuff which depends upon openjdk17 -> pkg exists in my local repo.
> Now I want to use something which needs openjdk21. So I did a poudriere bulk
> -j ... java/openjdk21 and now it builds openjdk18, openjdk19 and openjdk20
> serially before openjdk21.
>
> I can understand if we need ot build 1 bootstrap, but why do we need to
> build multiple jdks sequencially to get the one I want?
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.

This appears to be a recommendation (requirement) from the project. N-1
to bootstrap.

https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/master/doc/building.md#boot-jdk-requirements

However, since you're poudirere-devel you might be able to take
advantage of binary downloads PACKAGE_FETCH_BRANCH in poudriere.conf.

You'll still have cases where you need to rebuild because of missing
deps where builders are out of sync with the latest ports tree.  I think
some of those are trying to addressed here to loosen the exact
requirements of what poudirere/pkg things needs rebuilt.

https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-ports/2023-October/004776.html

What I've done in the past to semi-workaround this is to dial the tree
back to the commit the builders last built on.  Sometimes this can be a
tricky thing to pin down.