Request to Reconsider the Removal of djbdns from FreeBSD Ports (Regarding Bug 256450)

From: Vladimir Marchenko <vm.on.tablet2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 12:23:27 UTC
Dear FreeBSD Ports Community,

I am a longtime FreeBSD user, having started back in the late 1990s. Yay,
it has been since the last century! I am reaching out to request a
reconsideration of the decision to remove djbdns from FreeBSD Ports
Collection, as discussed in Bug 256450.

The decision to deprecate djbdns was primarily based on its status as
"unmaintained" and the precedent set by some linux distributions removing
it. However, as David Thiel pointed out, tinydns within djbdns is still
solid and widely used, and its removal is already causing frustration among
users. This indicates a significant user base that still finds value in
djbdns.

Furthermore, Leo Vandewoestijne raised an important point about the
relevance of djbdns, particularly its tinydns-data component, which is
still useful and can be integrated with other modern tools like PowerDNS
and dnsdist. This underscores the ongoing utility and adaptability of
djbdns in contemporary environments.
I, personally, found out about this unfortunate "bug resolution" when I
once again tried to install dgbdns as a nifty shortcut to have daemontools
correctly and easily installed and activated  on my system. Daemontools
port does not do it by itself. This is just one example. But djbdns is also
valuable as a simple and dependable DNS server for local networks where not
being an "over engineered monstrosity" is more valuable than strict
compliance with all the latest trends and standards.

There are NO good reasons to destroy the value gjbdns brings to users of
FreeBSD or to destroy value that numerous tips and manuals online involving
djbdns bring to FreeBSD users.

Also, philosophically, destroying good software in this fashion is what
Linux crowd often does for a variety of petty reasons and what FreeBSD
simply does not. FreeBSD is indeed valued for being stable, dependable,
reliable and to a large degree backward compatible. Let's not ruin that!

Somehow, very reasonable objections voiced by Leo Vandewoestijne and David
Thiel were summarily ignored and the decision maker in this matter has
chosen to rely instead on an obvious logical fallacy "appeal to the [linux]
crowd" plus some misguided notions regarding supposed obsolescence and lack
of use of djbdns.

Additionally, Daniel Engberg somehow assigned the status of bug 256450 as
"affects only me" which clearly cannot be further from the truth.
Alternatively, if the presence of djbdns port indeed somehow affects
only Daniel
Engberg, then ruining thousands of setups and workflows of many users just
to fix something that affects only Daniel Engberg appears to be all the
more nonsensical.

Given these discussions and facts, I urge the community and  Daniel Engberg
personally to reconsider the removal of djbdns. Its continued usage and the
integration with other tools demonstrate its enduring relevance. Let's
continue to support the diverse needs of our user base by retaining this
valuable software.

Thank you for considering this request. I look forward to our community's
continued commitment to supporting a wide range of software needs while
ensuring FreeBSD remains reliable, dependable and backward compatible as
much as possible.

Best wishes,
Vladimir Marchenko.