UIDs and GIDs in ports overlay

From: Einar_Bjarni_Halldórsson <einar_at_isnic.is>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 20:06:44 UTC
Hi,

We migrated from a cloned ports tree to using ports overlay in poudriere a few months ago. We maintain a few ports and create and merge patches for others, and we add them to our overlay while testing. We find this a much happier workflow than dealing with git merge conflicts.

I’m currently working on a new port, which runs as a daemon so I want to add new UID and GID. I tried adding the files UIDs and GIDs to the root of the overlay tree, but they don’t seem to have the desired effect and the build fails with ** Cannot find any information about group `reposilite' in /usr/ports/GIDs.

Am I missing something? Should I just test it without reserving UID and GID and wait until it gets merged upstream?

.einar