Re: HEADS-UP: Upcoming move of WWW definitions in all ports

From: Stefan Esser <se_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 20:26:26 UTC
Am 06.09.22 um 21:32 schrieb Moin Rahman:
> On 9/6/22 9:04 PM, Stefan Esser wrote:
[...]
>> The idea to move the WWW entry from the pkg-descr to the Makefile has come up
>> multiple times in the past, back in 2015 for the first time that I know of,
>> see https://reviews.freebsd.org/D2949.
> It's really interesting to see my work being resurrected after nearly 7 years.
> But yeah thanks for the hard work and I believe my task was easier than what
> you are doing or did. I believe you or portmgr@ has a better script to complete
> the task. In case you are planning to use my script I would advise doing in
> batches per category so far from my experience. But then again I believe there
> are more competent ones than me to take care of this. :D

This change has been proposed multiple times, and I did not know about your
review D2949 when I suggested it to members of the PortMgr team, a few months
back.

I had prepared a patch to bsd.port.mk, but tcberner was quicker to post his
version for review, and I decided to use that as the base of the planned
commit.

Instead of developing a script to edit each port's Makefile I have just added
support for the WWW field to the portlint and portfmt ports - and the portedit
script from the latter port will be used to patch the Makefiles.

I have discussed the question of whether to commit all files in one go or per
category with members of PortMgr, and we have come to the conclusion that it
is easier to commit all Makefiles in one commit, followed by one commit for all
the pkg-descr files.

Else I'd have to worry about intermediate commits and the need to rebase the
commits possibly multiple times. And devel alone has 1/4 of all ports, while
this is less than the full set, it still would be quite a large commit.

Regards, STefan