Re: How to port a PHP application that uses Composer?

From: Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd_at_bluerosetech.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 04:19:33 UTC
On 2022-05-16 20:14, Peter Beckman wrote:
> PHP is an interpreted language, Unless there are compiled portions, there
> is no porting necessary.

There are many reasons to port a PHP application.  Bringing in
extensions and tracking those dependencies, for example.  I've also seen
a bunch of applications that need patches to shell commands because they
assume Linuxisms that don't work on FreeBSD.

> How does the "application" run? Is it just a directory that is configured
> as a root directory for a webserver?

Web and command-line

> Consider that it is something the installer needs to do, or build the
> package as a deterministic set of packages already installed.

Yes, that's exactly the point I'm stuck on.  The fetch-extract-fetch and
toe-stepping problems mentioned in my original email came from me trying
to solve this either way:

"If I ran [composer] as part of the pkg building process, there's a
fetch-extract race as it needs network access, but also a file extracted
from the distfile.

If I left it to user config, the autoloader script creation will change
a file managed by pkg."