Re: Firefox 100.0_1,2 immediate crash on signal 5

From: Jan Beich <jbeich_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 13:27:33 UTC
Frank Seltzer <frank_s@bellsouth.net> writes:

> Upgrading to the latest version of Firefox results in the following
> errors and a crash in 10-15 seconds.  What am I missing?
>
> Thanks.
>
> console.warn: SearchSettings: "get: No settings file exists, new
> profile?" (new NotFoundError("Could not open the file at
> /home/frank_s/.mozilla/firefox/aksntfbh.default-release/search.json.mozlz4",
> (void 0))) JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.jsm, line
> 66: Error: Can't find profile directory. JavaScript error:
> resource://gre/modules/XULStore.jsm, line 66: Error: Can't find profile
> directory. console.warn: services.settings: Could not determine network
> status. Message: TypeError: Cc[aContract] is undefined Exiting due to
> channel error. Exiting due to channel error. Trace/BPT trap (core
> dumped)

Try rebuilding without LTO. rust-1.60 emits LLVM 14 bytecode that LLD
from llvm13 may not understand. firefox cannot switch to llvm14 yet
due to missing wasi-compiler-rt14. In the past firefox build usually
broke due to LLVM mismatch, so quickly noticed during exp-run.

Note, this was briefly discussed in https://reviews.freebsd.org/D34823
Note2, /quarterly (2022Q2) is NOT affected because it still has rust-1.59.