Re: On what days are the git servers available to obtain the ports tree?

From: Chris <portmaster_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 19:55:10 UTC
On 2022-05-02 12:04, Chris wrote:
> On 2022-05-02 11:21, Janky Jay, III wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> On 5/2/22 11:09, Chris wrote:
>>> I'm a maintainer for well over 100 ports. But more often than
>>> not, I am not permitted to obtain the ports tree from any of
>>> the FreeBSD git servers:
>>>
>>> # git clone -o freebsd --config
>>> remote.freebsd.fetch='+refs/notes/*:refs/notes/*'
>>> https://git.freebsd.org/ports.git PORTS-20220502
>>>
>>> returns:
>>> error: RPC failed; HTTP 504 curl 22 The requested URL returned error: 504
>>> fatal: error reading section header 'shallow-info'
>>
>> I've run into this issue in the past with older versions of git. I found
>> that
>> updating my version of git to anything equal or newer than 2.35.1 resolved
>> it.
>>
>> If you can't update your git version because you can't update your ports
>> tree, I
>> found that adjusting the size of the global config for git's
>> "http.postBuffer" to
>> 500MB fixed the issue for older git versions:
>>
>> # git config --global http.postBuffer 524288000
>>
>> Hope that helps!
> I think you may have provided me with both the problem && solution. I'm
> performing
> all of this within a jail(8) && my copy of git is not the newest; the
> resources are
> also less than those of the host. So I would venture a guess that at *least*
> one of
> your proposed solution gets it for me.
OK I tried
#git config --global http.postBuffer 524288000
but the results were the same. :-(

So I upgraded git to git-2.36.0 in that jail and again, the results were
the same. :-(

Thanks for your suggestions, Jay.
Looks like I'll have to cobble up a script and add it to cron. To attempt to
get a copy
of the ports tree once a day. Not stopping attempts until successful.