Re: Heads-up: Pending removal of 'Created by' from the ports tree

From: Jochen Neumeister <joneum_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 17:30:03 UTC
Hi,

Am 05.07.22 um 15:16 schrieb Tobias C. Berner:
> Moin moin
>
> portmgr is intending to remove all occurrences of 'Created by' from the tree
> by the end of this quarter [1].
>
> This is done to honor those that are actively maintaining the ports tree and
> not those that were there before it was cool.
>
> The ports tree is the product of all the contributors and committers
> maintaining it currently. If you want your name reflected as contributor, then
> MAINTAINER is what you need to be. No information is lost, as the original
> creators are still present in the version control system.
>

> mfg Tobias/portmgr
>

> [1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D35023

have you also considered another direction? That you do not delete this
line, but if several people were involved in the creation, to include
them? One must not insert completely name and email address, but only
the name.

I do not find so beautiful, if this line is deleted. You could also
always see that many people who are no longer active have created many
of these ports in the past, such as Martin "Miwi" Wilke.

Furthermore I think it would be good that portmgr thinks about how many
ports one person should take care of.

Cheers
Jochen