Re: Heads-up: Pending removal of 'Created by' from the ports tree

From: Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 14:26:45 UTC
On Tue, Jul 05, 2022 at 03:16:17PM +0200, Tobias C. Berner wrote:
> portmgr is intending to remove all occurrences of 'Created by' from the
> tree by the end of this quarter [1].
>
> This is done to honor those that are actively maintaining the ports tree
> and not those that were there before it was cool.

Before what "was cool"?  Those who maintain a particular port are listed
as MAINTAINER, it's a public offical field with pkg(8).  "Created by" is
an optional courtesy tag for those who want to be remembered as the port's
author.  While we no longer encourage it, some of us still prefer to use
it; dropping it forcibly is tactless and unjust.

Porting new software can be hard, and allowing the author to be visibly
noted is a valuable sign of appreciation the FreeBSD Project can offer
to those people.  What you suggest is utterly upsetting and demotivating.

./danfe