Re: New categories: both virtual and non virtual

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 07:23:59 UTC
On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 06:55:26PM +0200, Robert Clausecker wrote:
> While we are at it, may I propose to split some categories off the overly large
> devel category?  Here are some ideas:
>
>  - src-mgmt for version control programs, diff tools, and similar
>  - debuggers for gdb, lldb, strace, valgrind, ...
>  - analysis for program and binary analysis and static verification tools
>  - codegen for code generators like flex and bison (might conflict with lang)
>  - build for build systems like cmake, mk, autoconf, ...
>  - lib for misc libraries currently under devel
>  - toolchain for binutils, gcc and llvm ports as well as other compilers/linkers
>    that do not fit into lang
>
> I am willing to to make a more detailed proposal including a complete list of
> current ports to sort into each of these if there is general interest.

Yes I plan also to do that, just there is no need to go too deep into the split

The categories you do propose will end up having less that 20 ports, it is not
worth it.

I would simple keep the libs into devel, create a devel-tools with debuggers,
compiler linkers, codegen etc imho that would be a first good step

Best regards,
Bapt