Re: How do I depend on a port regardless of its flavor?

From: Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd_at_bluerosetech.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 11:19:35 UTC
On 2022-12-16 16:03, Tatsuki Makino wrote:
> Mel Pilgrim wrote on 2022/12/17 06:49:
>> I'm asking because, given this problem was created by the FLAVORS
>> implementation modifying pkgname, it must be just a matter of
>> outdated documentation that the Porter's Handbook doesn't say how
>> to handle this case.
>
> is there any way to know the FLAVOR of postfix or other
> pre-installed stuff?

No, that's the point I've been getting at: it needs to work regardless
of the flavor installed.

[Makefile example snipped]
> If that fails, it need to use other methods. Using the same flavors
> as postfix, OPTIONS to choose postfix flavor or split into m@ster and
> sl@ve...

No, that is making it flavor-specific.  It just changes the dependency
to whatever is installed at build time, not creating a dependency that
will work with an as-yet-unknown flavour.

We appear to be miscommunicating about this.  The port that depends on
the flavoured post cannot know ANYTHING about which flavor is or will be
installed.  Not only is that knowledge is entirely outside the port's
baliwick, it isn't even knowable yet.  The user needs to be able to swap
out the flavor at will via pkgs and still have this dependency work
without manual intervention.

I'm not sure how else to phrase this, so if this still isn't clear
please do say so.