Re: lang/rust is super slow to build

From: Roger Marquis <marquis_at_roble.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 23:32:00 UTC
>>> Using poudriere, lang/rust is at 2 hours and counting on my 10-core i9
>>> w/ 128 gigs of RAM.

Several interpreters and compilers take a long time to build today.
This may change, of course, after another generation of hardware is
released.

>> Even worse, poudriere doesn't need to build it.  If you aren't changing
>> its options there's no functional difference between building it locally

No difference for you perhaps but that is an important difference to
many of us.

> IMHO the ports collection should provide and use prebuilt packages of
> compilers (LLVM, GCC, Rust, etc.) built from the FreeBSD packages builder,
> and ports framework (possibly also the base system) should be changed to
> use prebuilt packages by default.

That would violate the principle of least surprise.  If the same command
used with one port compiles from source but when used from another port
downloads a pre-built binary that's to be avoided (whether or not some
java ports already do this).

If we're talking about Poudriere then please first consider better
build-time optimizations than downloading binaries that may have
security implications and will change over time.

Tangent: If we're talking about additional make (not pkg) functionality
then please add a constant to only create packages, for the target app
and all dependencies, and install them only using pkg (the OpenBSD
model).

Roger